Oct. 10, 2011
STORRS, Conn. - The Connecticut women's tennis program competed in a pair of matches this week and came away with a 1-1 record. The Huskies defeated Bowdoin at home, 5-2, but fell to UMass in Amherst, Mass., 4-3.
Against UMass, the Huskies were able to take two-of-three doubles matches but fell in four of six singles matches.
Sophomore Jennifer Learmonth took No. 1 Singles, 6-3, 6-2. She combined with freshman Maxene Weinberg in No. doubles for an 8-5 victory. Senior Alexa Gregory and sophomore Marie Gargiulo worked well together at No. 2 doubles and took a close match, 9-7.
Junior Lauren Wilmarth and sophomore Lucy Nutting dropped the No. 3 doubles match by a score of 8-2.
The Huskies struggled in singles after Learmonth's victory. UConn's No. 2-5 singles players each suffered defeat. Gregory dropped a tie-breaker at No. 2 by scores of 2-6, 6-7 (0). Weinberg fell at No. 3, 6-1, 6-0. Gargiuolo and Wilmarh lost at No. 4 and No. 5 by scores of 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2, 6-2, respectively. Nutting earned UConn's other victory in singles with a 7-5, 6-2 result.
Against Bowdoin, the Huskies once again won two of three doubles matches but were able to take four of six singles competitions to earn a 5-2 team victory.
UConn kept the same combinations at all three doubles tandems and came away with victories at No. 1 and No. 2. Learmonth and Weinberg dispatched their competition easily at No. 1, 8-3. Gregory and Gargiulo battled to an 8-6 victory. Wilmarth and Nutting suffered defeat at No. 3, 8-6.
In singles, UConn got the result with Gregory at No. 2, Weinberg at No. 3, Wilmarth and Nuttng at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
Gregory worked a 7-5 result at No. 2 singles in the first set before running through set two, 6-0. Weinberg came away with 7-5 and 6-3 scores to take No. 3. Wilmarth and Nutting both needed tie-breakers to earn a victory at No. 5 and No. 6. Wilmarth won, 7-5, 3-6 (10-2). Nutting took her match with scores of 7-6 (3), 6-2.
The Huskies will prepare for a dual match at Bryant on Wednesday, October 12 in Smithfield, R.I. beginning at 2 p.m.
UConn vs. UMass, 3-4
1. Jennifer Learmonth / Maxene Weinberg (UConn) vs. Y. Motyl /J.Comas (UMass) 8-5
2. Alexa Gregory / Marie Gargiulo (UConn) vs. S.Bokkari/J.Promdence (UMass) 9-7
3. Lauren Wilmarth / Lucy Nutting (UConn) vs. J.Podlofsky/C.Glasper (UMass) 2-8
1. Jennifer Learmonth (UConn) vs. Y. Motyl (UMass) 6-3 / 6-2
2. Alexa Gregory (UConn) vs. S. Bokkari (UMass) 2-6 / 6-7 (0)
3. Maxene Weinberg (UConn) vs. J. Comas (UMass) 1-6 / 0-6
4. Marie Gargiulo (UConn) vs. J. Podlofsky (UMass) 2-6 / 1-6
5. Lauren Wilmarth (UConn) vs. C. Glasper (UMass) 2-6 /2-6
6. Lucy Nutting (UConn) vs. J. Promdence (UMass) 7-5 / 6-2
7. Natalie Robson (UConn) vs. G. Francis (UMass) 2-6 / 2-6
8. Julia Allen (UConn) vs. E. Burgess (UMass) 3-6 /4-6
UConn vs. Bowdoin College, 5-2
1. Jennifer Learmonth / Maxene Weinberg (UConn) vs. Alberstone / Wininghan ( Bowdoin) 8-3
2. Alexa Gregory / Marie Gargiulo (UConn) vs. Lombardi / Chow (Bowdoin) 8-6
3. Lauren Wilmarth / Lucy Nutting (UConn) vs. Lovertu / Howard (Bowdoin) 6-8
1. Jennifer Learmonth (UConn) vs. K. Alberstone ( Bowdoin) 6-4/ 1-6 / 7-10
2. Alexa Gregory (UConn) vs. K. Wininghan ( Bowdoin) 7-5 / 6-0
3. Maxene Weinberg (UConn) vs. E. Lombardi ( Bowdoin) 7-5 / 6-3
4. Marie Gargiulo (UConn) vs. C. Lavertu ( Bowdoin) 5-7 / 3-6
5. Lauren Wilmarth (UConn) vs. E. Chow (Bowdoin) 7-5 / 3-6 / 10-2
6. Lucy Nutting (UConn) vs. H. Hoeiner ( Bowdoin) 7-6 (3) / 6-2
7. Natalie Robson (Uconn) vs. Howard (Bowdoin) 6-3 / 3-6/ 4-6