BLOOMFIELD, Conn. (April 3, 2005) - The University of Connecticut defeated Villanova on Sunday afternoon, thumping the Wildcats by a score of 6-1. The win snaps a six-match losing streak and the Huskies register their first conference victory of the spring. UConn is now 3-10 with a 1-5 mark against BIG EAST teams.
Senior Jen LoRusso (Shoreham, N.Y.) battled Candice Carlin at No. 1 singles, but fell 3-6, 6-1, 7-5. That would be the only loss for the Huskies on the day as the team took care of the rest of the singles matches and swept through doubles.
Seniors Whitney Simcik (Reading, Pa.) and Barbara Schumsky (West Hartford, Conn.) both won in three sets, with Simcik topping Courtney Flezzani, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 at No. 2, and Schumsky winning 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 over Leighann Reilly at No. 3.
The Huskies then defeated Villanova in two sets at No. 4-6 as sophomores Christine Burek (Wheaton, Ill.), Liz Dibbs (Allentown, Pa.) and Ashley Petruzzi (Bradenton, Fla.) each registered wins. Burek defeated Morgan Flezzani, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 4 as Dibbs, at No. 5, topped Lindsey Puchyr, 6-1, 6-4. Petruzzi finished out the singles at No. 6, taking care of Zoe Murray, 6-3, 6-0.
In doubles action, Simcik and Shumsky paired up at No. 1 to defeat Carlin and Courtney Flezzani, 9-7. The duos of LoRusso and Dibbs and Petruzzi and Burek won the next two matches each by scores of 8-6.
Connecticut's women's tennis team will next travel to Jamaica, N.Y., to face the Red Storm on Friday, April 8 at 2:30 p.m.
Connecticut 6, Villanova 1
1. Candice Carlin def. Jen LoRusso, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Whitney Simcik def. Courtney Flezzani, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Barbara Schumsky def. Leighann Reilly, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
4. Christine Burek def. Morgan Flezzani, 6-3, 7-5
5. Liz Dibbs def. Lindsey Puchyr, 6-1, 6-4
6. Ashley Petruzzi def. Zoe Murray, 6-3, 6-0
1. Simcik/Schumsky def. Carlin/C. Flezzani, 9-7
2. LoRusso/Dibbs def. M. Flezzani/Reed, 8-6
3. Petruzzi/Burek def. Reilly/Puchyr, 8-6