Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Falls In Straight Sets At Houston

Karson Ratliff had a team-high eight kills for UConn

Nov. 1, 2013

Final Stats

HOUSTON -- The UConn women’s volleyball team (11-14, 2-8 American) dropped a three-set decision (25-20, 25-18, 25-22) to Houston (14-11, 6-4 American) on Friday night at HU’s Athletics/Alumni Center.

The Huskies were led in the loss by eight kills from Karson Ratliff (Wake Forest, N.C.), while Erika Thomas (Ocoee, Fla.) added seven and a team-high two total blocks. Marissa Prinzbach (Cincinnati, Ohio) posted a 27-assist, 12-dig double-double, and was joined in double digit digs by Sage Esposito (Milford, Conn.), who scooped 10. Rookies Camille Evans (Chicago, Ill.) and Hayley Cmajdalka (College Station, Texas) had five kills apiece, and Immanuella Anagu (Culver City, Calif.) added four. Amy Christensen (Ashburn, Va.) and Brianna Datti (Durham, N.H.) had seven digs each to round out the scoresheet.

Houston was led by a 16-kill performance from Kadie Kullerkann, while Sarita Mikals posted a 12-kill, 13-dig double-double. Natalie Keck led the way for the Cougars with 20 digs, while Destiny Patterson also doubled up with 22 assists and 11 digs.

A Thomas kill gave UConn a two-point lead early in the first set, before two in a row from Evans gave Connecticut a 12-7 advantage. The Cougars answered with three in a row to force a Husky timeout, and the UConn lead stayed around two for much of the set. A Ratliff ace made it 17-14, but Cougars answered with four in a row to take the lead. UConn took a timeout trailing 20-18, but the Huskies couldn’t get any closer and dropped the first frame, 25-20.

Houston jumped out to a 9-6 lead in the second set, prompting a UConn timeout. Kills from Thomas and Ratliff after the stop evened the score at nine, and another for Ratliff gave the Huskies the lead. The teams traded leads through the middle portion of the set, before a 6-1 run allowed Houston to take a 19-13 lead. UConn wouldn’t come closer than five for the remainder of the frame, and dropped it, 25-18.

A Mikals kill gave Houston a 7-4 lead in the third set, forcing an early UConn timeout, and the Huskies called another after going down 11-6. The Cougars kept up their pace throughout the frame, not allowing UConn to get back within five until an Anagu kill and an HU error made it 19-16, prompting a Houston timeout. A Thomas kill got UConn within three again at 22-19 leading to another Cougar stoppage, but that was as close as it would come, with Houston clinching the frame, 25-21, to complete the sweep.

Next up, UConn travels across the Lonestar State to Dallas for a Sunday afternoon contest at SMU. The Huskies and Mustangs will take to the floor at 2 p.m. on Nov. 3.